The Community Action Agency of Columbiana County (CAA of CC) Head Start Program is a kindergarten readiness program that supports the entire family. We have fifteen sites located throughout Columbiana and Jefferson Counties, where staff, of which many are past Head Start parents, are dedicated to working with preschool children and their families to meet or exceed school and relevant life related goals.
We plan children’s lesson based on state early learning standards and various forms of data collected through assessments, observations, work samples, and parent and staff reports. We analyze child and family outcome data throughout the year to ensure the children are making progress and are ready for kindergarten.
Head Start staff are working hard to build relationships and improve the well-being of the entire family. We help families become lifelong learners and advocates for their children, and help build positive parent-child relationships, and teach parents how to support their children throughout the entire education process.
How Can Head Start Help Your Child?
- Free speech, vision, hearing, developmental, social and emotional screenings.
- Provide individualized lesson plans.
- Provide transportation to and from centers for most children.
- Assist the family with individual goals including, housing, utilities, food pantries, obtaining driver’s license, GED, and Job and Family Services.
- Assist with nutritional education – provide daily snacks and meals that meet federal guidelines.
- Teach proper hygiene and dental care.
- Prepare children for Kindergarten Readiness.
- Provide counseling centers for children with mental health issues in the classroom.
- Provide in home mental health care (Positive Beginnings).
- Salem and Eastern Gateway locations offer day care for Head Start children.